An Post web policy and data privacy statement
Access to this site and the use of information contained on it is governed by the terms and conditions set out below. Since they are for the protection of both you and An Post a limited liability company having its registered office at the GPO, O’Connell Street, Dublin 1 (herein referred to as “An Post”), please take the time to read them carefully. By using this Website you will be deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions. Please note that this Website is owned and operated by An Post and that references to “we”, “us and “our” mean An Post.
- Copyright in this site and the information set out on it belongs to us or our licensors and may not be copied, transmitted or reproduced without our prior consent. All copyright, trademark and other proprietary notices must be left intact.
Save as otherwise specified the contents of all the pages contained in this site are copyright of An Post or its licensors.
- Reproduction of part or all of the contents of the pages in any form is prohibited other than in accordance with the following permissions. You are granted a non-exclusive, non transferable licence solely for the purpose of using this site and any services available on this site. You may make one electronically stored, transient copy of these pages of this site for the exclusive purpose of on-line viewing. You may make one hard copy of these pages for exclusively, non-commercial purposes.
- Save whether otherwise specified the author(s) of the literary and artistic work set out in the pages contained in this site has/have asserted his/her/their moral rights to be identified as the author of these works.
- This licence does not permit incorporation of the material or any part of it in any other work or publication, whether in hardcopy or electronic or any other form. In particular (but without limitation) no part of this site may be distributed or copied for any commercial purpose.
- No part of this site may be reproduced on or transmitted to or stored in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval.
- Some pages on this site contain hypertext links to websites of business units and subsidiaries of An Post. You are reminded that when you enter such sites, you will be subject to the terms and conditions of those sites.
- Some pages on this site contain hypertext links to websites not maintained by An Post. You are reminded that when you enter other websites via such hypertext links, you will not be subject to these terms and conditions and you will not benefit from the protections afforded to you in using our site. We will not be liable in any way for the content, availability or use of such link to websites and you use such links entirely at your own risk.
- You warrant that you will use this site in accordance with all the terms and conditions applying to such use and you agree to indemnity An Post for any liability accruing to An Post from your use of this site.
- This site is established in Ireland in accordance with the laws of Ireland and will be governed by the laws of that country. When you use the site, you accept that your use of the site and any information on the site will also be governed by the laws of Ireland and if any claim or dispute arises from your use of the site or any information on it, you agree that the Irish Courts will have non-exclusive jurisdiction over all such claims or disputes.
- The use of this site or the distribution of information on the site may be restricted by local law or regulation in certain jurisdictions and this website is not intended for use nor the information intended for distribution in such jurisdictions and the persons accessing this website should inform themselves about and observe any such restrictions.
- No third party is permitted to link any other website to this site without obtaining our prior written consent.
- Please note that the sending of personal information via e-mail over the internet may not be secure and can be intercepted by third parties or incorrectly delivered. You should not divulge confidential or personal information over the internet unless you are using secure or encrypted communications technology.
- The contents of this site including these terms and conditions are subject to change by us without notification to you. We accept no responsibility or liability for keeping the information in this site up to date or for any failure to do so.
The information contained in this site is for information purposes only. Whilst every care has been taken in its preparation we do not make any warranties or representations as to its completeness, accuracy or reliability. Although we have made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all of the information on the site is accurate at the time of inclusion, we do not represent that this is the case and it should not be relied upon as such. We neither accept nor assume any responsibility to you in relation to the contents of this site. Access to and use of this site is at the users own risk and we do not represent or warrant the use of this site or any material downloaded from it will not cause damage to property, including but not limited to loss of data or computer virus infection. In no event do we accept liability of any description including liability for negligence for any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or profits arising out of or in connection with the access, use or performance of this site or any of its contents. We do not accept liability for any inaccuracies or omissions on this site. All implied warranties are excluded to the fullest extent permissible under law. We reserve the right to update or alter the information on this site including these terms and conditions at any time without giving notice of the alterations. An Post do not give any warranty of uninterrupted use of this site and An Post do not accept liability for any information posted on this site by third parties.
- You will ensure that your use of this website complies with all applicable laws and regulations, including but not limited to those principles of law which protect against compromise of copyrights, trade secrets, proprietary information and other intellectual property rights, liable or defamation of character, invasion of privacy or tortious interference.
- No data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed as totally secure. Whilst we strive to protect such information we do not warrant and cannot ensure the security of any information which you transmit to us. Accordingly, any information which you transmit to us is transmitted at your own risk. Nevertheless, once we receive your transmission, we will take reasonable steps to preserve the security of such information.
- You agree not to post or publish any offensive, defamatory or unlawful material that could encourage or constitute a criminal offence, civil liability or violation of any law.
- An Post reserves the right to monitor or review the contents of the website but are not obliged to do so and assume no liability or responsibility for the contents therein.
- An Post reserves the right to remove any materials posted to the website at its absolute discretion.
- An Post may disclose your identity to relevant parties to aid any investigation.
- You warrant that the information you enter on this site is accurate and you indemnify us in respect of any damage or legal costs arising out of any action taken against us in respect of the material posted by you.
Data Privacy Statement of the An Post Group
An Post websites
This is the privacy statement of the An Post Group as it relates to this website. We are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of other websites. Any external links to other websites are clearly identified as such.
In addition to this Privacy Statement you may wish to read our Data Protection Policy.
An Post respects the rights of users of our website and is committed to protecting your privacy in accordance with Data Protection legislation at all times. We will not collect any personal information (also referred to as personal data) about you on this website without your permission or otherwise in accordance with Data Protection legislation.
Collection and use of personal data
You do not have to provide us with any personal information (or personal data) to use our website. However, where you choose to give us personal data, via online feedback forms or email, then we will treat your personal information in accordance with Data Protection legislation.
By simply visiting our website, you do not disclose, nor do we collect, personal data about you. The information collected about your visit is limited to technical data such as:
- the Internet address (or IP address) of the device you used to access this website
- whether you reached the site using a search engine or if you clicked a link on another website
- the type of web-browser you used
- the type of device you used to access the Internet.
We use this data for administrative and statistical purposes as well as to help us improve our website. This technical data does not provide us with the personal data of visitors to our website.
Cookies may be set by the website you are visiting (‘first party cookies’) or they may be set by other websites who run content on the page you are viewing (‘third party cookies’).
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a simple text file that is stored on your computer, or mobile, device by a website’s server and only that server will be able to retrieve, or read, the contents of that cookie. Each cookie is unique to your web browser. It will usually contain some anonymous information such as a unique identifier and the site name and some digits and numbers.
First party cookies
First party cookies are set by the website you are visiting.
Third party cookies
Third party cookies are set by a different organisation to the owner of the website you are visiting. For example, the website might use a third party analytics company who will set a cookie to perform this service. The website you are visiting may also contain content embedded from services such as YouTube or Flickr, and these services may set their own cookies.
A website may use a third party advertising network to deliver targeted advertising on their website, these may also have the capability to track your browsing across different sites. This website does not use this type of cookie.
Session cookies are stored temporarily during a browsing session and are deleted from the user’s device when the browser is closed.
This type of cookie is saved on your computer for a fixed period and is not deleted when the browser is closed. We use persistent cookies when we need to manage return visits. For example, we use this type of cookie to know how many repeat visits the site receives compared with new visits.
Many websites use Adobe Flash Player to deliver video and game content to their users. Adobe utilise their own cookies, which are not manageable through your browser settings but are used by the Flash Player for similar purposes, such as storing your preferences or tracking users.
Flash cookies work in a different way to web browser cookies rather than having individual cookies for particular jobs, a website is restricted to storing all data in one cookie. You can control how much data can be stored in that cookie but you cannot choose the type of information stored. Find out how to manage flash cookies.
Back to top
How can I control cookies?
Web browser cookies
Some people find the idea of a website storing information on their computer or mobile device a bit intrusive, particularly if this information is stored and used by a third party without their knowledge. Although this is generally quite harmless, you may not, for example, want to see advertising targeted to your interests. It is possible to block some or all cookies, or even to delete cookies that have already been set; but you need to be aware that you might lose some of the functionality of the website by doing so.
If you wish to restrict or block the web browser cookies set on your device, you can do this through your browser settings; the Help function within your browser explains how to change these settings.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
How to delete cookies in Microsoft Internet Explorer
How to delete cookies in Google Chrome
How to delete cookies in Firefox
how to delete cookies in Safari
You can also visit www.aboutcookies.org, which contains comprehensive information on how to manage cookies on a wide variety of desktop browsers.
Adobe Flash Player Cookies
As mentioned above, the Adobe Flash Player, which is used to provide services such as videos or web-based games, is also capable of storing information on your device. However, these cookies cannot be controlled through your web browser. If you wish to restrict or block flash cookies, then you must do this on the Adobe website. Please be aware that restricting the use of flash cookies may affect the features available to you.
An Post Cookies
The following are examples of the types of cookies we use.Analytic cookies
We use a combination of session and persistent cookies to display the website and provide interactive tools. Functional cookies used on this site include AnPostBanner, AnPost_AutoAddressCounterDay, AnPost_AutoAddressCounterDay_cDate, AnPost_AutoAddressCounterWeek, AnPost_AutoAddressCounterWeek_cDate, AnPost_AutoAddressCounterMonth, AnPost_AutoAddressCounterMonth_cDate, ASPSESSIONIDQCACCTQD, ASP.NET_SessionId, Unblocktime, AnPostBanner.
Third party cookies
To enhance the user experience, we sometimes embed photos and video content from websites such as flickr and YouTube. Pages with this embedded content may present cookies from their websites. Similarly, when you use one of the share buttons on an An Post website, a cookie may be set by the service you have chosen to share content through. An Post does not control the dissemination of these cookies. You should check the relevant third party website for more information about such cookies.
Examples of third party cookies used on this site, their purpose, and name:
Giving us your personal information
||Cookie name |
||Social media sharing buttons.
||di, dt, ssc, ui, sshs, ssh, uid, __atuvc |
||Used to display video content
||dmvk, ident, __utma, __utmb, __utmc, __utmz |
||Measure the effectivenes of advertising
||Display of An Post content hosted on flickr.com
||Display An Post content hosted on flickr.com. Flickr is a service provided by yahoo
||Social media sharing.
||lu, datr, presence, act, p, sub, c_user, s, xs, csm |
||Social media sharing
||docsperf, NID, S, PREF, SSID, HSID, APISID, SAPISID, SS, SID |
||Social media sharing
||Display the An Post twitter stream & social media sharing.
||__utmz, __utma, __utmc, __utmv, _twitter_sess, guest_id, k, remember_checked, twid, twll |
||Display of An Post content hosted on youtube.com
||VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE, PREF, use_hitbox |
||Display of Powerpoint presentations.
||SERVERID, __utmc, __utmb, __utma, __utmz |
||Part of the slideshare.net powerpoint presentation display.
||tripadvisor badge displayed at the bottom of web pages.
||tripadvisor badge displayed at the bottom of web pages.
||TASession, v1st, TAUnique, TACds, BEPIN, TATravelInfo, ServerPool, CM , __utmc, __utmb, __utma, __utmz |
Please note that where you provide us with your personal information (e.g. name, e-mail address, work address, phone and facsimile numbers and/or other contact information), through a facility provided on this website or directly to us by e-mail, you consent to us:
(a) processing and administering your personal data to perform all necessary actions to give effect to your request or instruction; and
(b) retaining a record of incoming and outgoing communications (e.g. email).
Information in the email we receive and send will not be disclosed to any third party without the permission of the sender unless otherwise in accordance with the Data Protection legislation.
Please note that by using this website you are giving us your consent to process your personal data as outlined in this Privacy Statement. Your consent is also provided to any successor or assignee of An Post and/or any of its businesses. We inform all persons who submit their personal data to us of these conditions by this Privacy Statement.
Security of data
An Post takes seriously its security obligations in respect of your personal data under the Data Protection Acts to prevent unauthorised access to, or alteration or destruction of personal data in our possession.
Right of Access
Where you have provided us with your personal data you have a right to be given a copy of your personal data in accordance with section 4 of the Data Protection Acts subject to certain exceptions. To request a copy of your personal data please visit our Access Request Policy where you can download our Access Request Form for completion before sending it to us at Data Protection Co-Ordinator, An Post, Management Suite, GPO, O’Connell Street, Dublin 1 together with the prescribed fee of €6.35. Please note the following important requirements:
1. we reserve the right not to process an access request that is not made in our Access Request Form format;
2. we shall not process an access request unless the prescribed fee of €6.35 is received by cheque or postal money order made payable to An Post; and
3. we do not accept access requests via telephone, email or text message.
Right of rectification or erasure
If we hold incorrect information about you which was originally submitted by you through this website, you have the right to have the data amended. Further you have the right to have any information you have sent to us via this website erased. To request your right to rectification and/or erasure please send your request to us in writing at Data Protection Co-Ordinator, An Post, Management Suite, GPO, O’Connell Street, Dublin 1 together with:
1. Your name and address.
2. A description of the specific personal data you wish rectified.
3. If you request an erasure of your personal data all your data will be erased subject to the following important notice.
We are not required to rectify or erase your data where to do so would prevent you from meeting your contractual obligations to us or where we are required to process (including retaining) your personal data for a lawful purpose in accordance with the Data Protection Acts.
An Post trusts that you appreciate we respect your right to privacy and that our honesty and integrity shall mean that you will continue to trust us with your personal data, knowing that we will not use it for any inappropriate purpose.
Glossary of technical terms used
IP address: The identifying details for your computer (or your internet company's computer), expressed in "internet protocol" code (for example 192.168.72.34). Every computer connected to the web has a unique IP address, although the address may not be the same every time a connection is made.
personal data: means information about you which can identify you and which is within the possession of An Post (e.g. your name and address)
web browser: The piece of software you use to read web pages. Examples are Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox and Safari.